I love Harry Potter. And so does my cousin. He went to the WB Studio and seen the Harry Potter robes but they are so expensive that he ended up not getting them. My mom had suggested that I make some for him. I hadn’t made anything on my own, without a pattern, before so I was a little hesitant. But we went to Joann’s and got some fabric and I started looking up some inspiration.
I’d only made a few garments so I thought I would start with cutting a front and a back with a hood on the fold.
After I finished cutting this is what I ended up with. I couldn’t figure out what happened or what I did or what I could do to salvage it.
But I sewed the pieces together as I had imagined in my mind and this is not what I was thinking. LOL!
So I looked up some more inspiration and found this image. Since I had taken my cousin’s measurements I just adjusted these measurements to fit his. Looking at these images reminded me of the Kwik Sew 3423 nightgown that I made a while ago.
Here is the Kwik Sew 3423 pattern that I loosely based the robes off of, along with the image above. You can read about the nightgown here.
I laid out the material on the fold and sketched out a front piece, mirroring what the screenshot shows two photos above. I did the same for all the other pieces. Also, first time using chalk.
After I cut the black pieces out I traced them on the maroon piece.
All the pieces cut out of both the black and maroon fabric. I opted to not do a lining for the back piece as no one would see if it was there or not.
As is stated in the Kwik Sew pattern, you sew the shoulder pieces together first.
Then I sewed together the lining and outer pieces of the sleeve.
Then attached them to the body.
Finally it’s looking more like it should.
The sleeves are being hemmed.
Then I attached the hood which is what you see here, unhemmed.
Here it is all finished and hemmed.
It’s not the best but it’s as good as I could make it with my pattern-needing brain that didn’t have a pattern to follow.
And here’s my cousin wearing the robes.